Saturday, March 8, 2014

31.68 million reasons to be hopeful!

We showed up right at 8AM and soon after James gave his "specimen". We were told to come back at 10AM for the insemination.

We took Ryan to PetSmart to look at the fish and kitties for a while then made our way back to the clinic.

It's a Saturday and we were the only ones there so I was called back pretty much right away.

James' numbers were phenomenal! They confirmed what I had been told which is they like to see about 5million sperm after the wash. James had 31.68 million after the wash and the motility and progression were fantastic - hoorah!!

The insemination part was quick and easy. Afterwards they left me with a timer that would go off in ten minutes. I was to lie there quietly and wait for the timer.

She asked if I'd like a magazine and I said no, I intended to "visualize". And, that's exactly what I did.

I laid there with my eyes closed imagining those 31 million sperm navigating their way to one of my three eggs and breaking through. Then I visualized that growing into an embryo and all the way up to a baby then being born. I pictured Ryan playing with his little sibling.

Then the timer went off and I got up. I couldn't help but picturing all those sperm then going "woooah" and falling down all the length they had already swam. While that's not actually the case, it was amusing to picture!

Now, you might think that with 31 million sperm and three eggs, our odds would be excellent.
The truth is, the odds are incredibly low.

However, I insist of being positive and thinking positive until the day I get a + result on a home pregnancy test.

What's next?
I'm scheduled for a blood draw on 3/20 to determine pregnancy. Until then I go about life as usual and try not to obsess.

The hardest part about the TWW (two week wait) is not falling into the trap of "symptom spotting". So many women trying to conceive do this far too much and I've seen & heard many disappointed women who were so sure they were pregnant because they were tired/hungry/nauseas/sore etc and end up disappointed because they read far too much into these symptoms.

One last note:
Again, I'd like to thank everyone for being so supportive. It feels good to be able to talk about this journey and not keep it secret as if infertility is something to be ashamed of.

"May the odds be ever in your favor!"

No comments:

Post a Comment