Tuesday, June 14, 2016

A tale of ten months

Ryan - 6 years, 1 month old
Just about ten months ago, Ryan started Kindergarten and today is his last day as a Kindergartner.

We met with his Kindergarten & speech teacher last week and they said so many great things. His standardized test (PALS) score was very high again which was a wonderful thing to hear.

We were given 1st grade materials for him to work on this summer so he'll start 1st grade ready to go.

They've been slowly sending assignments home that the kids worked on this year and a lot of the work is story telling. Most of Ryan's stories are about his family and it was so touching to read.

I admit, when we received his diagnosis of speech apraxia several years ago, I worried how that might affect his social skills and his education.

It turns out the worry was for nothing. Ryan has lots of friends, is a sweet boy and he's done incredibly well in school.

He's super excited about summer camp and I can't say I blame him. Those kids put in a lot of hard work this year and the break is well deserved!

Hannah - 10.5 months old
I started to list out her accomplishments over the last ten months, too.

Sat without support: 5 months
Stand while holding onto something: 5 months
Pulled self up to stand: 7 months
Crawled: 7 months
Stood without any support: 9 months
Walk with push toy: 9 months
First independent steps: 9 months
Fully independent walker: 10 months
Walking while holding items in her hand: Yesterday ;-)

Yesterday as we were giving her a bath, she was robustly applauding herself (for what accomplishment, only she knows) and James and I were laughing when it hit me; I can't remember when she first started to clap. It was a while ago but, I can't recall the first time we saw it happen.

It goes by so fast.

My first baby is going into the 1st grade and my last baby is a toddler.

In other words, I no longer have babies.


2 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. Gus, too, will be entering 1st grade this fall and Lucy is already 20m old. She's almost 2! I'm still subconsciously working on accepting the fact that I'm done having kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be tough to settle into the notion that no more babies are coming. There are days I change my mind but, mostly, I know we're done.

      Delete