Thursday, August 24, 2017

Dear Second Grade

I'm sending a message to the universe... Call it prayer, call it good vibes, call it a wish on a star. Second grade, I beg you, be good to my son.

Ryan met his new teacher yesterday and something about the experience lit a fire in his belly. He suddenly got excited and was looking forward to school.

I'm sure it's because his teacher is young & enthusiastic but, a huge part I believe, is that his best buddy Jack is in the same class for the first time.

Ryan is sweet and kind and smart. too. He just learns differently and it takes him a while longer to complete tasks. Thankfully, there is a plan in place to help when he gets off track. Once again, I think of how grateful I am to live in a county that has the resources available to help him.

I so much want this positivity to continue throughout the whole school year.

And, part of that is the responsibility of our family at home. I have to remember not to stress about the homework because that leads to anxiety in Ryan that definitely spills over into the classroom.

Ryan has the cool shoes, the cool backpack, the awesome shirts with the stylish basketball shorts, the blasted tall socks that I spent all summer looking for.

He's ready.

He's excited and willing.

Please, second grade, don't beat him down. Don't ruin his confidence. Don't let him think he's not good enough, not smart enough, not anything enough. We're in this together and that kid of mine, he's the best. Let's keep it that way.

I delivered him to your front door this morning and I left with a tear in my eye. Excited tear, worried tear, happy tear.

I can't wait to hear about his first day.




No comments:

Post a Comment